This Page

has been moved to new address

Being 40 and a Mom to a Toddler

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Being 40 and a Mom to a Toddler


This is going to be the shortened version of a post that will be to come. Being a mom again at 40 to a toddler (a very new toddler since she just turned one) is one of the greatest things ever! I recommend that everyone do it! She makes me laugh so hard at the littlest things. She keeps me feeling young. So much of how I see the world through Nico, Tommy and Isabella's eyes is jaded by mean teachers, school and homework that is hard, unfairness in sports, mean kids, lost loves (even though they are 13 and 9!) and diseases I want to go away that to see the world through Gia's eyes, is exciting and new and fun and light and to have that again is a blessing. I think she is teaching me more than I am teaching her. She teaches me to live in the moment. It's frustrating for everyone that I spend time with but I can't plan to do anything. I live moment to moment. If someone calls me and asks me to go to lunch two days from now, I'll have no idea what to say but if you call me that day, chances are, I'll be able to go. I love that she forces me to be spontaneous. She teaches me that the milestones (walking, talking, giving up the bottle or pacifier)that I was so hurried to get through with the other kids, are better spent enjoying every moment until she reaches them. She continuously shows me that my heart is capable of stretching to fill the love I have for my kids. She shows me every single day that there is a God and that His timing really is perfect. If he answered the prayer for another baby when I first asked 8 years ago, I wouldn't have been in the place I am right now appreciating every little bit of her. I wish there wasn't so much pain before she got here but it's amazing that all of that feels like it happened to another person. It's like watching someone else's Lifetime movie.



I absolutely feel like the teen mom whose friends are off having a grand old time with no children to worry about (at least not while they are in school) but I also have the greatest excuse in the world when I don't feel like doing anything. It's probably hardest when I try and juggle the older kids needing to get somewhere and Gia needing a nap. I thank God for the friends I have around me that help me get my kids to their practices or don't mind coming to get them so that they can still have a social life. I feel bad that a lot of the playdates have to be at my house but secretly, I really don't mind because usually, I love being the house that the kids are at (unless Gia didn't sleep well and then I really want to nap when she does and won't if there are other kids at my house). I miss that it used to be easy for us to leave the kids with grandparents or an aunt and go to Vegas for the weekend. Leo and I might be able to do that again at some point but for now, I think we need to do separate weekend trips where either we both get to go somewhere or neither one of us goes anywhere (because I am all about fairness and if he ends up going to Vegas and I don't get to go anywhere, there is not a blog big enough for the anger I would feel or need to vent).

There are obvious drawbacks to having a baby late in life or things I thought I would never have to do again: I'm not looking forward to potty-training again. I will be the oldest mom at Kindergarten Round Up. Tommy informed me that when Gia is 60, I'll be dead because "no one lives to 100, Mom." Isn't he a sweet treat with his little nugget of knowledge?

I'm ready for the challenge of how many hours of sleep will I get before she wakes up to be over. Although, I don't care how tired I am, when I go in that room in the morning and she smiles one of those, "I am so happy you are my mommy and you came to get me," smiles, my heart melts and I feel like I can take on the day. Being 40 and having a toddler...wouldn't have it any other way.

3 Comments:

At March 11, 2011 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Maria said...

Oh so true. With a one year old at my age there is no energy to go out :(

 
At April 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Kendra Mareva said...

Oh my goodness, she is such a cutie!

 
At April 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM , Blogger AnnMarie said...

Thanks! I can't wait for you to meet her!

Maria, I don't know how I missed your comment. Glad I am not alone. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home