This Page

has been moved to new address

How Leo and I Came to Be (Part 2)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Monday, March 7, 2011

How Leo and I Came to Be (Part 2)

Before I finish the story, I just want to say that I hesitated before writing and posting this topic. I mean, this story might only be interesting to Leo, me and my kids, who ask me constantly, "Tell us again how you and Dad got together." The reason I went ahead and posted it was because I want people to understand who Leo and I are before they read about the things that have happened. Does that make sense?


Anyway, I felt so guilty that I didn't go to class for two days (and because I hate conflict, I avoided Leo) and went home that weekend to fix things with my boyfriend. He never showed up for our date and tired of being treated that way, I asked my best friend to take me back up to school. On the way, we got in a car accident. We were hit head on going 60 mph. I could make that as dramatic as it was or at least more than I just did but with all the rest of the drama that has unfolded in my 40 years, the car accident was just a blip on the radar. It was a big blip and really the beginning of my "bad things don't just happen to other people" mindset. I broke my back, the dashboard crushed my knees and I hit my head on the windshield. The seatbelt saved my life. I had to leave school and remember being mad at Leo for not even calling to see how I was or not coming to see me. Right after I got home from the hospital, my boyfriend and I broke up for good. I think something happens to you when you come close to dying. You have a very low tolerance for crap.

I couldn't wait to go back up to school and date. I wanted to experience the freedom of college while not being tied to home or tied to a guy. Four years is a long time to focus on two people as one entity. I was ready to focus on friends and all the fun we were going to have.

I dated a little bit after the car accident (The Rebel) and then Leo finally called. There was some confusion about no one telling him what was going on and since I avoided him after we kissed, he thought I didn't want to talk to him. We made plans for him to come over the next night and when he walked up the sidewalk, I saw him do a double-take. I lost weight from the accident, dyed my hair and was tan. I was flattered that he noticed and oh, my God, he was even hotter than I remembered. His tan made his blue eyes even more piercing and when he smiled at me, I was hooked. Any chance of dating anyone else when I went back to college flew out the window that night. He was so easy to be with and that time when we kissed, there was no guilt. We made more plans for that weekend and ended up spending the weekend hanging out with his friends. We went to Lake Geneva for the day for our first real date and when the past Leo, much like the present Leo waited until the last minute to get money and the machine ended up eating his card, I had to pay for the Lake Geneva date (should have been another foreshadowing to his waiting until the last minute to do things but I will say he has more than paid me back...being that I am a stay at home mom right now).

We agreed that we wouldn't get serious and that we could see other people though at that time, I had no interest in other guys. As the years went on, that subject would come up from time to time (like in the post about things that shaped me) but it never went anywhere because when I fell for Leo, I fell hard. That was the beginning and this year will mark 22 years together.

I love thinking about how it all began because it is truly one of those stories where I was not looking for love (I already had it when we met and was not wanting to get serious so soon after coming out of a long relationship) and I know Leo, at 18, was not looking to fall in love but it didn't matter, it found us. One of my favorite songs that reminds me of when Leo and I got together is Van Halen's, "Love Comes Walking In." Fits perfectly with what happened so I am sharing it here. Enjoy!


">

7 Comments:

At March 7, 2011 at 7:32 AM , Blogger Maria said...

We certainly can't choose who we fall in love and when. Who knows what would have happened if we could. People who know everything call it "human nature". I just think we as people suck when it comes to real life :). But then again, who knows...

 
At March 7, 2011 at 7:53 AM , Blogger AnnMarie said...

I think it's funny that we think we have control over any of it. :) Thanks for reading and commenting!

 
At March 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM , Blogger degochic said...

love that song and love the story of how you two met! I sort of remember hearing about an accident way back when. sounds like it was very scary. glad you ended up being ok eventually.

 
At March 15, 2011 at 5:21 AM , Blogger AnnMarie said...

I think it is scary now, when I think back. I don't think we knew how close we were to having a different outcome because at 18, we think we are invincible. So happy you are reading, Lori!

 
At March 15, 2011 at 7:36 PM , Blogger degochic said...

so true as teenagers we do think nothing can touch us. just think we will some teenagers on our hands very soon. if yours are anything like mine, they already act like they are!

 
At March 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just started reading your blog--a little late to the game I see. They are great! I really like the Leo 2-parter. Have you ever read Emily Giffin? I've read 4 of her books this year--I think you would enjoy them too.

Take care & keep blogging!

 
At March 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM , Blogger AnnMarie said...

I have read them and enjoy them! I love that you are reading it! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home